A Conversation with Alverne Ball – Mystery and Graphic Novel Author
Author of the Frank Calhoun police procedurals series
- Only the Holy Remain
- Blue Religion
And the New Graphic Novel – “Across the Tracks: Remembering the Tulsa Race Massacre and Black Wall Street”
- Alverne’s sleuth Frank Calhoun who has some heavy demons he is fighting. Alverne provides insight into the character and his reasons for creating Frank Calhoun.
- We discuss the relationship between Frank Calhoun and his partner Fred Lions. How two Black police officers are seen by others as similar when the reality is so very different.
- Alverne shares the details on his research process of this book.
- We learn how the city of Chicago plays an important role in both books in the series.
- Alverne digs deep into how his mysteries explore the relationship between the Black community and the police force. Also, the relationship between Black police officers and the community.
- We discuss the new graphic novel (“Across the Tracks:”) by Alverne Ball and illustrator Stacey Robinson.
- Alverne explains how this graphic novel brings a new approach to telling the story of the Tulsa Race Massacre and Black Wall Street.
- Alverne shares some news about his future projects
Follow Alverne Ball on social media